Saturday, September 5, 2009

Review: Clockwork Knight ( Sega Saturn )

Ok, I have to be honest. This game was alot like a much hyped movie. I remember being a kid and not having a Saturn and drooling over this game every time I would see it. So with a little searching on Ebay I got it for almost nothing. I was a little upset that it was supposed to be complete but the inside pages of the manual were missing. But enough rambling, on to the review.
Gameplay: ( 3 ot of 5 ) I felt from the moment I saw the opening FMV I wasn't going to like this very well. The game just really has no sense of feeling to it. It feels very drab and boring. There is really nothing to get excited about at all. And I know this can be common with old games but, I am 99% sure I would have felt the same if I played it as a kid. The videos on youtube can begin to tell you how boring and repetitive the game feels. Not having a save feature of any type only makes matters worse. Sega gave the Saturn built in saves and then doesn't use it in such a hyped platformer? I could save in Super Mario World for Christ sake! And that seems to be a big problem with Saturn games. The only "fun" part of the game is the boss levels. They are much more involving and actually give you a feeling of some accomplishment before being dumped into boredom again. Also, don't expect to go back and replay a level to get everything 100%. Because you can't. And maybe I just need to find a manual but I sure don't understand how you get 100% completion any way.
Graphics:( 3 out of 5 ) I always feel bad reviewing this part of a classic game. It's hard not to deduct points when you are used to the world of PS3 and HD TV's. this game was meant to be a showcase for the Saturn's capabilities. At times they can look good. Again, during boss battles mainly. The rest of the enemy toys are all very plain and boring looking. Adding to the overall dull appeal of the game as a whole. The back grounds are the best part. Seeing the trains go into the background and the huge Saturn posters are fun to look at for such an old game.
Control: ( 3 out of 5 ) The controls can be tight for the most part. It's not to difficult to land a jump in the proper spot. But other aspect will annoy the hell out of you. Such as trying to push and item onto a moving playtform, stop and try to start again and by the time the box moves , it's on the platform and you are stuck unable to get on in time. You really have no fun special moves or anything either. Just a basic attack and jump. The d-Pad response feels great on the awesome Saturn controller!
Sound: ( 2 out of 5 ) The music in CK is extremely dull and repetitive! The sound effects are FAR from the wonderful sounds heard in other Saturn games! The sound of killing an enemy sounds so weak and does nothing to add to the experience! Everything seems so basic and out of place. This is one of the things hat makes me so sour toward this game. In the days before force feedback sound was your feedback. This back to the sounds of Mario jumping and landing on a goomba. You won't hear anything that unique here!
In closing, I know alot of people hold a special place for this game in memory. While it's a great addition to your Saturn Library as a valiant effort by Sega, it's not anything you will have a hard time putting down. So if you find it cheap pick it up. In the mean time I will be on the hunt for what I hear is a much better game CK2. Feel free to leave comments on the review. I am sorting out my video capture stuff and will soon start posting video reviews. In the mean time, thanks to the youtube poster of this video!

No comments: